January/February theme: Neurolinguistic Programming
Everything that is coming into your life you are attracting into your life. And it’s attracted to you by virtue of the images you’re holding in your minds – it’s what you are thinking. Whatever is going on in your mind you are attracting to you. Every thought of yours is a real thing – a force. (Prentice Mulford 1834 – 1891)
Neurolinguistic programming (NLP) is a very powerful concept that can be useful in virtually every aspect of personal and inter-personal relations. NLP has many beneficial uses for self development and for business and organisational use. It helps with personal awareness, improved communication, better appreciation of the feelings of others, improved behavioural style which leads to an empathetic approach to life. On a personal level NLP can be helpful for stress management and developing self belief and assertiveness/confidence.
As the title indicates NLP provides a connection between the neurological processes (‘neuro’), language (‘linguistic’) and behaviour through experience (‘programming’). Some believe that NLP is capable of addressing problems such as phobias, depression, habit disorder, illness, learning disorders etc., thus allowing people to find ways to lead fuller, richer and better lives. People can have all the ability in the world but if they don’t utilise those skills they will never fulfil their hopes, dreams or desires. Remember, whatever you believe will be true; you can find the evidence to prove yourself right. The following show ways that NLP can assist you in your everyday life:
- Re-programme behaviours and beliefs, overcoming limitations. By improving confidence levels in the boardroom, during high value presentations and interviewing for key roles within your business.
- Create new positive behaviours that facilitate greater co-operation and effective team dynamics.
- Improve your Management & Leadership skills. Understand how the mind works, by identifying with the individuals model of the world, knowing how this looks, sounds and feels to them. Providing you with the opportunity to make a powerful connection at the unconscious level, you’ll instinctively know how to motivate, delegate, coach and lead each member of your team to succeed.
- Communicate more clearly by understanding your own and your colleague’s communication styles (representational systems). “The meaning of the communication is in the response you get” so get your message across without any confusion.
- Strive for Peak Performance by understanding the deeper unconscious structures of the mind. Aim for transformation and positive change to propel you/your business forward and become recognised for the high level customer service, sales and support you provide.
- Reduce your business/departmental costs by employing the right people and investing in their development. Lower your recruitment costs and improve the productivity of those you manage.
- Learn the skills of highly effective coaches and understand, explore and analyse how people describe their subjective experience through their language and behaviour so that you can guide, direct and support them.
- Eliminate stressful conditions; know how to create positive states by accessing unconscious/conscious resources, in any situation, at anytime.
Our beliefs determine the actions we take, our limiting beliefs are in our unconscious mind, they are put there by experience, and they are from people in positions of expertise and possibly family members from our childhood. Our limiting beliefs are only thoughts they’re not real, we can create compelling beliefs, and find evidence to support them, which can catapult us forward to succeed. In order to create compelling beliefs we have to really challenge the self limiting beliefs that manifest themselves in our minds. Ask yourself, are they really true? Why do I believe they are? What would I do if I knew they were wrong?
What if every thought you have is setting a program in your mind? Through your conscious thoughts you are making an impression on your unconscious mind, the part of your mind that can’t reason or argue with the thoughts planted there. Therefore, any negative or destructive thoughts will continue to work negatively and eventually manifest themselves into real life experiences that match those thoughts.
So what can we do? Firstly we must listen to our internal dialogue, become aware of it and take action. It isn’t always easy, especially to change a pattern that you have built up over years of experience and precedent. BUT IT CAN BE DONE!
Want to learn more about NLP? Attend our London region study day on 19 January - Book Here